Tomato rice is a tangy (flavour of tomatoes) preparation of rice, which is loved by all especially kids. This is very healthy and delicious. In Tamil it is known as Thakkali sadam. Very easy to prepare, served with coconut chutney and papads.
Ingredients (4 servings)
- Refined oil – 2tsp
- Whole red chillies – 6(broken into pieces)
- Coriander seeds – 2 tsp
- Chana dal – 1 tbsp
- Urad dal – 1 tbsp
- Asafoetida (hing) – ½ tsp
- Dry coconut – 2½ tbsp(grated )
- Rice – 2½ cups
- Tomato Pulp – ¾ cup
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Refined oil – 1½ tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Peanuts – 3 tbsp
- Curry Leaves – 15-20
- Green Chillies – 5-6 (chopped)
- Onions – ½ cup (chopped)
- Coriander Leaves – 1 tbsp
- Tomato Slices – 4-5
- Heat oil in a pan, add all the ingredients and saute on a medium flame for 2-3 minutes, while stirring continuously. Keep aside.
- When cool, blend in a mixer and keep aside.
- Cook the rice and keep aside.
- Mix tomato pulp, turmeric powder and salt and heat on low flame for 4-5 minutes stirring continuously.
- Add the prepared masala, mix well and simmer for a minute. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a kadai and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds starts crackling, add peanuts, curry leaves and saute on low flame for 3-4 minutes stirring continuously.
- Now add green chillies and onions and saute on a medium flame for 4-5 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the cooked tomato pulp, rice and salt, mix gently and cook on a slow flame for another 2 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and tomato slices. Serve hot.