Steamed Modak is a sweet dumpling stuffed with coconut and jaggery. Highly popular in Maharashtra on Ganesh Chaturthi. It is considered to be one of the favorite foods of the deity Ganeshji.
Ingredients (10-12 pieces)
- Rice Flour – 1 cup
- Water – 1 cup
- Oil – 1 tsp + 1 tsp
- Salt – a pinch
- Oil for greasing
- White Sesame Seeds – 1 tbsp
- Poppy Seeds/khus khus – 1 tsp
- Grated Jaggery – 1 cup
- Coconut Powder – 1 cup
- Cardamom Powder – ½ tsp
- Cashewnuts – 6-7 (chopped)
- Almonds – 4-5 (chopped)
- Raisins – 15-20
- Ghee – 1½ tbsp
- Heat a non-stick pan on low heat, add ghee to it. Saute khus khus seed and white sesame seeds for 40-60 secs.
- Add jaggery and cook over a slow flame till it melts. (will take about 2-3 minutes).
- Now add coconut powder and mix it properly, till it gets mixed with jaggery. (will take about 4-5 minutes).
- Add cashewnuts, almonds, raisins, cardamom powder and mix well. Filling is ready, keep aside to cool slightly.
- In another pan boil the water. Add 1 tsp oil and a pinch of salt in the boiling water and stir.
- Switch off the gas. Add the rice flour while stirring continuously. Whisk well so that there should not be lumps. Cover with a lid and keep aside for about 5-6 minutes.
- Grease your palms with a little oil and knead the dough while it is still warm.
- Divide the dough into 10-12 equal parts (1 tbsp of dough for each part) using oil. Then flatten each of them into a round shape with the help of palm, 3-3½ inch in diameter.
- Add a spoonful of the filling into the centre of the dough. Bring all the ends together in tiny pleates and press lightly to seal by forming a cone at the top.
- Prepare a steamer by adding water, a tsp of oil and heat it till the water comes to a boil. While the water is simmering, place the modaks on a greased steamer plate, cover it with lid and steam for 8-10 minutes.
- Once the modaks are cooked they will turn translucent. Serve hot.
NOTE:- If we don’t have steamer we can fill one big vessel with water. Place a slotted dish or vessel over the water. Then place modaks. Cover with a lid.