Lamington is a dessert of Australian origin. It consists of squares of sponge cake traditionally coated first in a layer of chocolate sauce, then in desiccated coconut. Lamingtons are sometimes served as two halves with a layer of cream or strawberry jam in between.
Ingredients (16 pieces)
- All purpose flour (Maida) – 100 gms
- Baking powder – ¾ tsp
- Butter – ¼ cup
- Powdered White Sugar – ½ cup
- Eggs- 1
- Vanilla essence – 1/3 tsp
- Milk – ¼ cup
For Chocolate Sauce
- Icing sugar- 1 cup
- Cocoa powder – 20 gms
- Butter – 1½ tbsp
- Milk – 4 tbsp
- Dessicated Coconut – 1 cup
- Preheat your oven to 180°C. Dust a baking dish of around 4 inch square.
- In a large bowl sieve the flour and baking powder together.
- Beat the butter add sugar till light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each egg. Add the vanilla essence and beat until combined.
- Now add half of the flour mixture and half of the milk and blend. Add another half maida and milk and mix till blended completely.
- Pour the batter into your prepared pan and smooth the top with the help of the spatula (as the batter is little thick).
- Bake in preheated oven at 180°C for about 22-25 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the cake comes out clean.
- Place the pan on a wire rack, for about 5-10 minutes to cool. Now take out the cake from the pan and let it cool completely.
- Now cut the cake into 16 squares (approx. 1 inch size).
- Add the icing sugar, cocoa powder, butter and milk in a glass bowl placed over a pan of simmered boiling water (double boiler method). Stir the mixture until it is melted and becomes smooth.
- Place the coconut on a large plate and keep aside.
- Dip the squares of cake into the chocolate sauce (one at a time) and then roll the cake squares in the coconut. Gently place the Lamingtons on a clean wire rack to set completely.
- Once the Lamingtons have set, store in an airtight container for several days.
NOTE:- If the sauce becomes thick, again place the it over the simmered boiling water and reheat until it is smooth again.