Khus relieves thirst and burning sensations and purifies blood also. Incense or essential oil of khus, cools the mind and improves concentration. It also calms the nervous system.
- Khus Grass/Vetiveria – 75 gms
- Sugar – 4 cups
- Water – 5 cups
- Green Colour – 1 tsp
- Khus Essence – 1 tsp
- Potassium Metabisulphate – ½ tsp
- Rinse the Khus grass well to remove any mud or stone particles. Chop the grass with the kitchen scissor and soak for 10-12 hours in water.
- Strain through a strainer and collect the extract in a deep pan. Add sugar to the extract and stir.
- Keep the khus extract on the stove top and keep on stirring till the sugar dissolves. Once the solution starts boiling, continue cooking for some more minutes on flow flame till the syrup is of one-string consistency.
- Filter the hot syrup in a bowl or pan and let it cool down.
- Add colour, essence and potassium metabisulphate and mix well.
- Now store the syrup in a clean sterilized jar or bottle.
- Mix ¼ part of the khus syrup with chilled water and your khus sharbat is ready.
- Very refreshing in summers…..