Chole has few different names like Chana masala, Punjabi Chole, Chickpeas curry. This is basically a North Indian dish which is served with Bhatura. Can also be served with paratha or naan or even plain rice. It has nice and thick gravy made from onion and tomatoes with spices.
Ingredients( 4 servings)
- Kabuli Chana (Chickpeas) – 250 gms
- Salt – 1½ tsp
- Jeera – 1 tsp
- Cloves – 4
- Black Cardamom – 2 (shelled)
- Cinnamon – 3-4″
- Onion – 2 medium(grated)
- Garlic – 10-12 cloves(crushed)
- Ginger – 15gms (grated)
- Tomato – 3 medium(puree)
- Green Chillies – 2-3(finely chopped)
- Garam Masala – ½ tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander Leaves – little (for garnishing)
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Soak chana overnight. Boil in cooker with 4 cups of water for 2 whistles, then on low flame for 25-30 min.
- In a pan heat oil, add jeera, cloves, black cardamom, cinnamon and saute for a minute.
- Add garlic, ginger and saute for 1 -2 minutes.
- Add onion, green chillies and saute till it turns pink.
- Add tomato, red chilli powder, garam masala, coriander powder and saute till it leaves oil.
- Add boiled chana, salt and cook for another 15-20 mins.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander leaves.
- Best when served with Bhatura, any other indian bread or plain rice.