Rajasthani food is incomplete without the mention of the famed Daal-Baati-Churma. This was started as a picnic food. It consists of baatis or flaky round breads baked over firewood or over kandas (i.e. cow dung cakes) and can be baked in a gas tandoor or an electric oven as well.
Ingredients (18-20 Baatis)
- Whole Wheat Flour – 3 cups
- Refined Oil – 75 ml
- Salt – ¾ tsp
- Ajwain – ½ tsp (optional)
- Ghee – for dipping baatis
- Take wheat flour in a bowl, add salt and mix well. Now add refined oil and mix it in the wheat flour by rubbing in between the palms.
- Add ajwain and make a stiff dough using warm water, knead well for 5-6 minutes and keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Pre heat the oven at 200°C.
- Divide the dough into 18-20 equal parts. Shape each part into a small ball and flatten a little.
- Now bake it on convection mode at 200°C in microwave oven for 10 minute. Turn the baatis and again bake for another 10-12 minutes or till done.
- Dip the hot baatis in ghee for 2 minutes.(this is really important for good taste)
- Serve hot baatis with Daal .