Vegetable biryani is a healthy and delicious preparation of rice and vegetables. Vegetable biryani is a traditional mughlai main course with chopped vegetables, spices and saffron.
Ingredients (4 servings)
- Basmati rice – 1½ cups (soaked)
- Onions – 2 medium (diced)
- Carrots – 2 medium (½ inch pieces)
- French beans – 12-15 (½ inch pieces)
- Cauliflower – 10-12 florets
- Green peas(shelled) – 1 cup
- Salt – to taste
- Green cardamoms – 8
- Black cardamom – 1
- Cloves – 15
- Cinnamon – 1½ inch stick
- Bay leaf – 1
- Ghee – 3 tbsp
- Caraway seeds(shahi jeera) – ½ tsp
- Ginger-garlic paste – 1½ tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1 tbsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tbsp
- Curd – ½ cup
- Milk – 1 tbsp
- Rose water – ½ tsp
- Saffron (kesar) – few strands
- Fresh tomato puree – 1 cup
- Garam masala powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves(chopped) – 2 tbsp
- Mint leaves(chopped) – 2 tbsp
- Onions (fried) – 2 tbsp
- Boil rice in 5 cups of salted water with two green cardamoms, ½ black cardamom, five cloves, half inch stick of cinnamon, until three-fourth done. Drain excess water and set aside.
- Heat ghee in a non-stick pan. Add the remaining green cardamoms, cloves, black cardamom and cinnamon along with bay leaf and caraway seeds and roast. Add onions, carrot, French beans, cauliflower florets and green peas. Add salt, cover and cook on medium heat for two minutes. Add ginger-garlic paste and stir. Cover and cook for two minutes. Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder and coriander powder and saute for a minute.Add tomato puree to the vegetables along with ½ tsp garam masala powder and mix well. Simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Whisk curd with milk, rose water and saffron. Now add curd in the above mixture and saute again for 2-3 minutes.
- FOR STOVE
In cooker or any heavy bottom vessel, arrange half of the rice at the bottom. Over it arrange the vegetables, sprinkle garam masala,half the coriander leaves, half the mint leaves, now arrange the remaining rice.
- Sprinkle the remaining garam masala powder, remaining coriander leaves and remaining mint leaves. Cover with a lid and cook for 3 minutes on medium heat and 12-15 minutes on low heat.
- Open the lid of utensil and mix all ingredients nicely. Hot and tasty veg biryani is ready.
- Garnish with fried onions. Serve biryani with curd, chutney or raita.
- FOR MICROWAVE
Take a microwave safe deep bowl. Arrange a layer of ⅓ rice at the bottom. Over that arrange half the cooked vegetables followed by another ⅓ layer of rice. Sprinkle half of the remaining garam masala powder, half the coriander leaves, half the mint leaves. Arrange the remaining vegetables followed by the remaining rice.
- Sprinkle the remaining garam masala powder, remaining coriander leaves, remaining mint leaves and the remaining yogurt mixture. Cover with a silicon lid and cook in the microwave oven for four to five minutes on HIGH (100%). Let it stand for five minutes.
- Mix all ingredients nicely. Hot and tasty veg biryani is ready. Garnish with fried onions.
- Serve biryani with curd, chutney or raita.