Veg hakka noodles are a pure Indo-Chinese creation by the Hakka immigrants in Kolkata. Ching’s Secret Hakka Noodles are made from wheat. They taste best when quickly stir – fried with a spicy Indo-Chinese sauce and crunchy vegetables.
Ingredients (4 servings)
- Veg Hakka noodles – 200 gms
- Spring Onions(white) – 4-5 (finely chopped)
- Spring Onions(greens) – 1 cup(chopped)
- Cabbage – ½ cup (shreded long)
- Carrot – 1 (julienned)
- French Beans – 10-12 (finely chopped,slightly diagonal)
- Capsicum – 1 (julienned)
- Mushrooms – 5-6 (finely chopped)
- Green chillies – 3 (finely chopped)
- Garlic – 2 tsp (chopped)
- Red Chillies – 2-3 (broken into pieces)
- Celery – 1 tsp ( finely chopped)
- Vinegar – 2 tsp
- Soya Sauce – 2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Pepper – ½ tsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp + 2 tbsp
- Heat enough water in a pan with salt and a few drops of oil, till it comes to a boil.
Add the hakka noodles and cook according to the package instructions.
- Drain and rinse the noodles in running water, so that the noodles stop cooking.
Then add 1 tbsp oil and gently mix, so that the oil gets evenly coated on the noodles. keep aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a kadai. On medium heat, first add the dry red chilies and garlic. Saute for a minute, then add spring onions(white) and french beans. Stir fry for 3 minutes on high flame.
- Add the mushrooms,carrots, capsicum & celery. Stir fry all the veggies on a high flame for 4-6 minutes or till the veggies are half cooked. Add soya sauce and stir.
- Add the noodles and toss it well and stir fry for a minute on high heat.
- Add salt, pepper and vinegar. Continue to toss and cook the noodles on a high flame for a minute. Toss the whole mixture well.
- Garnish the hakka noodles with spring onions greens while serving.
- Serve hakka noodles plain or accompanied with some chinese gravy.