Urad Daal Puri, also known as Bedmi Kachori. When we want the crispiest puris, Urad Daal Puri is the best option. These are made by stuffing the whole wheat dough with a paste of soaked urad daal mixed with spices. Enjoy these puris fresh and hot puris with any curry of one’s choice.
Ingredients (20 puris)
- Whole Wheat Flour – 2 cups
- Urad daal – 1 cup
- Saunf – 2 tbsp
- Salt – ¼ + ½ tsp
- Hing – a pinch
- Red Chilli Powder – ½ tsp
- Garam Masala – ¼ tsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp + for frying
- In a deep bowl add flour and ¼ tsp salt and make a smooth and soft dough using water and keep aside.
- Clean, wash and soak the urad dal in water for 3-4 hours. Drain completely.
- Grind the urad dal in a mixer to a coarse paste.
- Add saunf, salt, hing, red chilli powder, garam masala to the urad daal paste and mix well.
- In a kadai, heat oil and add urad daal paste and stir till its water is evaporated and is little dry in texture.
- Divide the dough into 20 equal portions and roll each portion into a 3 inch diameter circle using a little whole wheat flour for rolling .
- Place 1 tbsp of stuffing in the centre of each circle.
- Bring together all the sides and seal tightly.
- Roll out again into a 3 inch diameter circle using a little whole wheat flour for rolling.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai and deep-fry the puris, 1-2 at a time, till they turn golden brown in colour from both the sides.
- Serve with chole or any curry of your choice.