Tomato Rasam is a traditional and a staple dish of the South India. Being in South India for 10 years we love south Indian dishes. Tomato rasam is my kids favorite. This tomato rasam is very simple to make, and also makes a perfect dish to have with rice or even as a soup in winters.
Ingredients (4 servings)
- Tomatoes – 2
- Tamarind – Lemon sized ball
- Green chillies – 1-2 (slit into 2)
- Garlic – 3-4 cloves
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Rasam powder – 2 tsp
- Curry leaves – 8-10
- Mustard Seeds 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves – 4 tblsp (chopped along with stems)
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Water – 4 cups
- Soak tamarind in hot water for 15-20 minutes and extract the juice and keep aside.
- Chop the tomatoes and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and mustard seeds, coriander seeds, garlic, asafoetida and curry leaves and saute for a minute..
- Add the chopped tomatoes, green chillies and saute for 3-4 minutes or till it becomes mushy.
- Add rasam powder and stir it.
- Add tamarind extract to it and let it cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add coriander leaves, water, salt and let it come to boil.
- Now let it cook for 4-5 minutes on medium low flame.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with rice or can be enjoyed as soup also.
NOTE:- Coriander stems gives a very nice flavour.