Til Rice/Ellu Sadam/Sesame Rice is a dish usually prepared in South India especially as a prasad for Lord Vishnu. In tamilnadu Saturday’s of Puratasi month are considered auspicious and on this day Sesame rice is offered to Lord Vishnu to get his blessings. We can use any variety of sesame seeds (black or white) for preparing this rice. But generally white til is used for prasad.
Sesame seeds are a good source of calcium, magnesium, iron, phosphorus, vitamin B1,vitamin E, zinc and dietary fiber. Since it has vitamin E, it is good for the skin also. Til is used widely in homemade bread, muffins and cookies. They add great flavour to the dish. This is very simple rice recipe with sesame flavour.
- Rice – 1 cup
- Hing – a pinch
- Urad Dal – 1 tbsp
- Til – 2 tbsp
- Whole red pepper – 4
- Black pepper corns – 8-10
- Cashewnuts – 8-10
- Curry leaves – 8-10
- Salt – to taste
- Lime Juice – 1 tsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Cook the rice in 2 cups of water and keep aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a kadai, add hing, urad dal, til and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add red pepper and pepper corns, saute for 2 minutes. Let it cool and then grind to a coarse powder in a mixer.
- In a kadai heat 1 tbsp oil, add cashewnuts, curry leaves saute for 30-40 seconds.
- Add cooked rice and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the grounded powder, salt, lime juice and mix well.
- Til rice is ready to serve.