Sweet Kesar Rice is the sweet rice made with milk, cardamom,saffron and other ingredients. Sweet kesar rice will turn any ordinary meal in to an exotic one. Usually made on Basant Panchami in our house. Loves by all especially kids.
- Basmati Rice – 1 cup
- Water – 1¼ cups
- Milk – ½ cup
- Saffron(Kesar) – 15 threads
- Sugar – ¾ cup
- Ghee – 2-3 tbsp
- Cloves – 4-5
- Black pepper corns- 8-10
- Salt – a pinch
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
- Coconut – 2 tbsp (grated)
- Cashew – 10-12 (coarsely chopped)
- Almonds – 10-12 (coarsely chopped)
- Raisins – 15-20
- Cardamom – ¼ tsp (powdered)
- Soak rice in water for 1 hour.
- Soak saffron in milk and keep aside for 5-10 minutes.
- Heat ghee in cooker, add cloves, peppercorns, rice and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add turmeric powder, water and kesar milk, mix well and close the lid.
- Let it cook till 1 whistle, then switch off the gas.
- When cool (after 5-6 minutes) open the cooker and add sugar, cashew, almonds, raisins and cardamom.
- Put on simmer till sugar dissolves completely, stirring occasionally.
- Garnish with grated coconut and nuts.
- Delicious sweet kesar rice is ready to be served.