Stuffed Ridge Gourd/ Turai is very nutritious and tasty. Ridge gourd has excellent cooling properties. It is low in saturated fat and cholesterol, high in dietary fibre, vitamin C, riboflavin, zinc, thiamin, iron, magnesium and manganese.
Ingredients (5-6 servings)
- Turai (ridge gourd) – ½ kg
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Hing (asafoetida) – a pinch
- Saunf Powder – 1½ tbsp
- Coriander Powder – 1½ tbsp
- Red Chilli Powder – ½ tsp
- Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp
- Amchur Powder – ¾ tsp
- Gram Masala – ¼ tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Wash Turai properly. Now peel them and remove the edges from both sides. cut them into 2½-3 inch pieces.
- Make a cut on one side lengthwise, so that the other side is attached.
- In a plate mix saunf powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, amchur powder, garam masala, salt and mix well.
- Stuff the Turai with the spices, inside the cut portion.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add hing, stuffed Turai, now cover the pan and cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Remove the lid and gently stir the torai, let it cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Stuffed Turai is ready.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander leaves.
- Can be enjoyed with parantha, naan or chapati.