Spring Onion Rice is a very delicious rice dish with nice aroma, a tangy taste and the freshness of Spring Onions. This dish is from South Indian cuisine.
- Basmati Rice – 2 cups
- Spring Onion – 2 cups ( chopped)
- Salt – to taste
- Refined oil – 2 tbsp + 1 tsp
- Chana Dal – 1½ tbsp
- Urad Dal – 1 tbsp + 1 tsp
- Coriander Seeds – 1 tbsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Red Chillies – 6
- Coconut Powder – 1 tbsp (optional)
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Raw Peanuts – ½ tsp
- Cook the rice and keep aside.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan. Add chana dal, urad dal, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, red chillies and saute for 2-3 minutes or till it is golden in colour. Allow to cool and grind to a coarse powder. Keep aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, urad dal, peanuts and saute for 4-5 minutes on medium heat.
- Add spring onions and stir. Add masala powder, salt and again cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add this onion masala to the rice and mix well.
- Serve hot garnished with spring onions.