Schezwan Potatoes is an amazing spicy and tangy Indo-Chinese Recipe. The Schezwan pepper is commonly used in schezwan dishes. Schezwan pepper has an intensely fragrant, citrus-like flavour and produces a “tingly-numbing” sensation in the mouth.
Ingredients (2-3 servings)
- Potatoes – 3
- Cornflour – 3 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Pepper – to taste
- Oil – for shallow frying
For Schezwan Gravy-
- Green chillies – 1 (slit)
- Garlic – 3 tsp (chopped)
- Ginger – 1½ tsp (chopped)
- Onion – ½ cup (finely chopped)
- Schezwan Sauce – 2 tbsp
- Red Chillies – 2
- Soya Sauce – 2 tsp
- Water/Veg Stock – 4-6 tbsp
- White Vinegar – ½ tsp
- Cornflour – 1 tbsp (mixed in 2 tbsp water)
- Salt – to taste
- Black Pepper – to taste
- Sugar – 1 tsp
- Spring Onions – ¼ cup (to garnish)
- Oil – 1 tbsp + for frying
Preparing the potatoes:
- Cut the potatoes in wedges. Keep them in cold water for 30 mins.
- Boil in enough water till ¾th cooked.
- Drain and add cornflour, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- In a kadai heat oil and fry the potatoes till crisp and golden.
Preparing the gravy:
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a kadai. Add onions, green chillies, ginger and garlic and stir fry on a high heat for a 1-2 minutes.
- Add red chillies and stir fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Add soya sauce, schezwan sauce, vinegar, salt, black pepper and sugar.
- Stir and then add water or veg stock and let the sauce come to a boil.
- Add the cornflour paste and simmer for 4-5 minutes or till the the sauce begins to thicken.
- Now add the fried potatoes and toss them well in the sauce.
- Garnish with spring onions greens/chillies.
- Serve the schezwan potatoes hot with veg fried rice, veg hakka noodles or with any type of bread of your choice.
- In place of schezwan sauce we can use red chilli sauce/ red chilli paste/ red chilli-garlic sauce.
- In place of normal potatoes we can take 10-12 baby potatoes.