Sabudana khichdi is prepared with sabudana (tapioca pearl or sago) soaked in buttermilk (it gives tangy flavour), which is cooked with roasted peanuts and boiled potatoes. The tempering of mustard/cumin seeds and curry leaves add to the authentic Indian flavor. Perfect for breakfast and good fasting meal option.
- Tapioca Pearl (Sabudana/Sago) – 2 cups
- Roasted Peanuts – 1 cup(crushed)
- Boiled Potatoes – 2(cut into small cubes)
- Buttermilk – 1/2 cup
- Green chillies – 2(finely chopped)
- Mustard Seeds/Jeera – 1 tsp
- Curry Leaves – 8-10
- Red Chilli Powder – ½ tsp
- Coconut Powder – 3 tsp(optional)
- Coriander Leaves – 2 tbsp(finely chopped)
- Lemon Juice – 2 tsp
- Sendha Salt – to taste
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Wash sabudana and soak it overnight in buttermilk+water, just to cover the same.
- Heat oil in a kadai, add mustard seeds/jeera, curry leaves and green chillies saute for 30 secs.
- Add potatoes saute again for 1 minute.
- Add sabudana, peanut, red chilli powder and salt.
- Stir it gently (add water if needed) and cook covered for 7-8 minutes, till sabudana becomes little transparent.
- Add lemon juice and mix well.
- Garnish with coconut powder and coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with curd.
- In place of buttermilk, water can also be added.
- Normal salt can also be used.