Raw banana curry is my new experiment as all of us were bored of eating raw banana fry everytime. As I spent most of my life in South India, I tried it in south Indian style and it came out really delicious. My kids and my hubby liked it a lot.
Ingredients (4 servings)
- Coconut Powder – 2-3 tbsp
- Coriander Seeds – 1¼ tbsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1¼ tsp
- Pepper Corns – 10-15
- Cloves – 4-5
- Garlic – 3 cloves (chopped)
- Whole Red Chillies – 2
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Urad Daal – 1 tsp
- Chana Daal – 1 tsp
- Curry Leaves – 12-15
- Onion – 2 small (chopped)
- Raw Banana – 3 medium sized (sliced)
- Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – ½ tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Coriander Leaves – to garnish
- In a mixer add coconut powder, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, pepper corns, cloves, garlic and red chillies and grind to a coarse powder.
- Heat a pan, add oil. When hot add mustard seeds, when they start crackling add urad daal, chana daal and stir for 15-20 seconds.
- Add curry leaves and saute for 10 seconds.
- Now add onion and saute for 4-5 minutes or till onion are transparent.
- Add the banana pieces and the ground masala powder, ½ cup water, red chilli powder ,turmeric powder and salt.
- Mix well and cook covered for 5-6 minutes on medium heat. Now this is almost dry, but keep frying for 4-5 minutes till the masala turns golden.
- Raw banana curry is ready
- Serve hot garnished with coriander leaves.
- Tastes good with either rice or chapati.