Pasta Arrabiata is a simple pasta dish with loads of flavour with a hint of chilli which blends very well with the tomato. Arrabiata sauce in Italian, is a spicy sauce for pasta made from garlic, tomatoes, and red chilli peppers cooked in olive oil. “Arrabiata” literally means “angry” in Italian, the name of the sauce may be due to the heat of the chilli pepper. Arrabiata sauce is usually served with penne pasta but I tried it with conchiglie pasta.
Ingredients (2 servings)
- Dried Pasta – 1 cup
- Olive Oil – 2 tbsp
- Garlic – 1 tsp (crushed)
- Onion – 1 (chopped finely)
- Tomato – 6
- Tomato puree – 3 tbsp
- Basil – 1 tbsp (chopped)
- Dried Oregano – ½ tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Black Pepper – ¼ tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – ½ tsp
- Sugar – ½ tsp
- Cream – 1 tbsp
- Cheese – (grated) to garnish
- Ketchup – 1 tbsp (optional)
- Cook the pasta till tender and keep aside.
- Blanch the tomatoes and finely chop them. Keep aside.
- Heat olive oil in a pan, add garlic and saute for a minute.
- Add onion, saute till transparent.
- Add salt, black pepper, red chilli powder, oregano, tomato puree, sugar and chopped tomatoes.
- Cook till it is slightly thick (approx 8-10 minutes).
- Do not cook it long. Switch off the heat and keep aside.
- While serving
- Heat the prepared sauce, toss the pasta. Heat thoroughly.
- Add cream and chopped basil leaves, mix nicely.
- Pasta Arrabiata is ready to serve.
- Garnish with cheese and serve.
NOTE:- Add 1 tbsp ketchup if the tomatoes are not red.