Onion Uttapams are generally prepared for breakfast in South India, as this is a very healthy also. It is always accompanied with coconut chutney, sambhar or any pickles.
Ingredients (4 servings)
- White Lentils (Urad Daal) – 2 cups
- Rice – 1 cup
- Fenugreek seeds (methi) – 1 tsp
- Onions – 3
- Green Chillies – 2
- Coriander Leaves – 2 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 4 tbsp
- Soak white lentils, methi seeds and rice for 6-7 hours. Grind lentil, methi, rice, green chilli, coriander to a fine paste.
- Cover and let it ferment for 4-5 hours.
- Finely chop the onions and keep aside.
- Add salt to the batter.
- Heat a dosa pan.
- Pour 2 – 2½ ladle of the batter (in round shape) on hot greased dosa pan. Sprinkle the chopped onions fully covering the top.
- Spread evenly the oil on all sides of the uttapam.
- Cover it with a lid and cook on a low flame for 2 minutes.
- Remove the lid and flip the uttapam with the help of spoon.
- Cook the other side of the uttapam also for 2 minutes.
- Serve it with coconut chutney, sambhar or any pickle.