Mini Idli with Sambar is unbeatable especially when it is served hot. These are very porous and sambhar is absorbed very well. It is the most popular dish in south India, especially in Tamil Nadu.
Ingredients (4-5 servings)
- Idli Rice 2 cups
- Urad Daal 1 cup
- Cooked Rice – ½ cup
- Fenugreek Seeds 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Soak idli rice in water for about 5-7 hours. Soak urad daal and methi seeds only for 45 mins to 1 hour. Do not soak urad daal for long.
- Grind the soaked urad daal,cooked rice and fenugreek seeds into a silky satiny batter using minimum water.
- Now grind the soaked rice into a little coarse paste.
- Mix Daal, rice pasteand salt nicely. Cover and keep it in a warm place for 6-8 hrs. Keep the batter in a big container so that it can hold the raised batter quantity after fermentation.
- Once the batter has fermented well, we can make idlis or store it in the refrigerator. If storing the batter in the refrigerator, take only the required quantity of batter for the idlis in a separate vessel for at least half an hour before making idlis.
- For mini idlis grease the small idli mould and pour in the batter and steam for 7-8 minutes or till the idlis are cooked.
Serve hot with Sambhar.