Matar Paneer is a delicious combination of soft paneer and healthy green peas in a mild spicy tomato based gravy. This is a north Indian vegetarian dish. It can be served with rice, paratha, naan, etc.
Ingredients (4-5 servings)
- Paneer – 150 gms (cut into 1“ cubes)
- Shelled peas – ¾ cup
- Onions – 3 finely sliced
- Tomato – 3 chopped
- Garlic – 3 cloves crushed
- Ginger – 1” chopped
- Tarbooz ke beej (Magaz) – 3 tsp
- Khus khus – 1 tsp
- Salt – as desired
- Red chilli powder – ½ tsp
- Garam masala – ½ tsp
- Milk – ½ cup
- Fry paneer cubes to a golden colour and keep aside.
- In the same oil deep fry sliced onions to golden brown. Remove from oil and cool. Grind to a paste with very little water.
- Mix tomatoes, garlic, ginger with 1 cup water in a small pan and boil it. Keep covered on low flame for 15 mins till the tomatoes turn soft. Remove from fire, cool. Grind to puree and keep aside.
- Soak magaz and khus khus in ¼ cup water for 10 mins grind to paste. If the quantity is too little add little onion paste while grinding.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil, add onion paste and fry till golden brown, add red chilli powder, khus khus paste and stir for few secs. Add puree and fry till oil separates.
- Add milk gradually stirring continuously on low flame. Add garam masala and salt.
- Add peas and fry for 2-3 mins. Add enough hot water to get a thick gravy. Cook covered till peas are done. Add paneer. Give one boil, simmer for 6-7 mins i.e. till the paneer turns soft .
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.