Masala idli is a simple and easy snack. This is one of my favorite ways to serve masala idli. Stir-frying with onion n tomato makes it a very versatile dish. This can be packed for lunch box also as it is very healthy too.
Ingredients (4 servings)
- Idli Rava – 2 cups
- Urad dal – 1 cups
- Methi Seeds – 1 tsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds (Rai) – ½ tsp
- Curry Leaves – 10-12
- Green Chillies – 2 (each cut length wise into four)
- Onion – 2 (chopped)
- Tomato – 2 (chopped)
- Black Pepper – ¼ tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Lemon Juice -1 tsp
- Coriander Leaves – 2 tbsp (chopped)
- Soak dal, methi seeds in plain water for 5-6 hrs.
- Soak Idli Rava in lukewarm water for 2 hrs.
- Make a fine paste of Urad dal & keep aside.
- Drain water from the rava & wash with plain water. Strain the rava and add it to the urad dal paste. Add Salt to it & mix well.
- Leave OVERNIGHT in a warm place for fermentation. The paste should be of medium consistency to make soft Idlis.
- Steam the batter in Idli stand for 5 minutes on high flame and then 5-6 minutes on low flame.
- Let it cool for 2-3 minutes before removing idli from the stand. They should come out easily now.
- Heat oil in a saucepan. Add mustard seeds. When the seeds starts crackling, add the curry leaves, chillies. Stir for a few seconds.
- Now add onion, fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, fry again for 2-3 minutes. Now add the idli, salt, black pepper, lemon juice and gently stir fry them together for 4-5 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with coriander leaves. Masala idli is ready to be served.
NOTE:- Do not add too much water while grinding urad dal.