Masala Dosa is a staple food of South India. This is loved by all, south Indians as well as north Indians. Traditionally served with sambhar and chutney. This is a thin crisp dosa with potato filling inside.
Ingredients (14-15 dosas)
- Dosa Batter – 1 recipe
- Boiled Potatoes – 4-5
- Curry Leaves – 12-15
- Chana Daal/Bengal Gram – 1 tbsp
- Urad Daal/Split Black Lentil – 1 tbsp
- Onions sliced or chopped – 2-3
- Mustard Seeds/rai – ½ tsp
- Cumin Seeds/jeera – ½ tsp
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Turmeric Powder/Haldi – ½ tsp
- Green Chillies – 2
- Ginger(grated) – 1 tsp
- Coriander Leaves – 3 tbsp (chopped)
- Oil – 1½ tbsp
- Salt – to taste
Preparing the potato filling
- Soak the chana daal, urad daal in hot water for 25-30 minutes.
- Drain and keep aside.
- Mash the potatoes and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and drained chana daal & urad daal.
- Fry the chana daal and urad daal well.
- Add hing, curry leaves, green chillies, ginger saute for a minute.
- Add onions and fry till the onions are soft.
- Add the turmeric powder and mix well.
- Now add the boiled chopped potatoes and salt.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes, stir once in between. Add chopped coriander leaves. Mix and keep aside.
- If the batter is thick add water to make it of flowing consistency.
- Heat a flat non-stick pan. Grease the pan with little oil, when hot wipe it with tissue.
- Take a big spoonful of the dosa batter. Pour it on the pan, and quickly spread the batter in a circular manner to get a thin and round dosa . Pour some oil on the top and along the edges.
- When the sides start leaving the pan and is golden from bottom, flip and cook the other side for a minute.
- Flip again and spread little of the preapared masala in the centre of the dosa and fold the sides onto it and let it cook for 12-15 seconds.
- Masala dosa is ready.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney and sambhar.