Lotus root fry is very tasty and healthy too. Also known as kamal kakdi or bhen. These are crunchy, delicate flavored roots of lotus plant. Lotus root contains many essential vitamins. Lotus stem is a great source of Vitamin C, which helps boost the immunity of a person and fight viral infections.It also contains essential minerals like zinc, magnesium, copper and iron, which help the body in the production of red blood cells.It strengthens the respiratory system of a human body, which ultimately helps a person fight a number of diseases. They are also rich in dietary fiber and low on saturated fats, hence keeping a person’s calorie count in check.
Ingredients (4 servings)
- Lotus Root – 300 gms
- Green chilli – 1 (finely chopped)
- Ginger – ½ tsp (grated)
- Oil – 1½ tbsp
- Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- Hing – a pinch
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Coriander powder – ½ tbsp
- Red chill powder – ¼ tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Garam masala – ¼ tsp
- Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp (chopped)
- Peel the lotus root and cut them into small pieces round in shape.
- Wash them thoroughly.
- In a cooker add root pieces, ¾ cup water and ¼ tsp salt to boil till 1 whistle. and then keep on low flame for 3-4 minutes.
- When cooker is cool, open the cooker and strain them.
- Heat oil in a pan, add cumin seeds, hing into it. Once the cumin seeds starts spluttering, add ginger, green chillies and fry them for 2-3 minutes.
- Add turmeric powder, boiled lotus root pieces, salt. Mix well and cook covered on low heat for 4-5 minutes.
- Now add coriander powder, red chilli powder, garam masala and mix well. Let it cook uncovered on low flame for another 3 minutes.
- Lotus Root Fry is ready.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve.