Karonda Launji is healthy and delicious. Karonda/Natal plum/karanda is a type of berry, that is green and sour when unripe and turns red and sweet as it ripens.
Karonda is rich in Vitamin C, Iron and it also has anti microbial, analgesic, anti inflammatory and anti fungal properties. Traditionally karonda juice was used to clean old wounds which have become infected. Karonda helps in lowering cholesterol levels too.
- Karonda – 250 gms
- Cumin Seeds/Jeera – ½ tsp
- Kalonji/Nigella Seeds – ¼ tsp
- Hing/Asafoetida – a pinch
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – ½ tsp
- Saunf/Fennel Seeds – 2 tsp (coarsely powdered)
- Salt – to taste
- Sugar – 3½ tbsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Wash karonda and cut them lengthwise into halves, deseed them and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add jeera, kalonji. When it starts to splutter, add hing, turmeric powder, karonda and salt.
- Mix well and allow to cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Add coriander powder, red chilli powder, saunf and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Now add sugar, mix and cook for half a minute. (The sugar will dissolve automatically as launji mixture is hot).
- Karonda lonji is ready,
- Shelf life is 3-4 days if kept in fridge.