Dahi vada also known as Dahi Bhalla, is an Indian chaat, prepared by soaking vadas in thick curd (yogurt). In this the hot deep fried vadas are first put in water and then transferred to thick beaten curd. To add more flavour, they may be topped with coriander leaves, chilli powder, chaat masala, roasted cumin seeds, boondi, coriander and tamarind chutney. Sweet curd is preferred in some places in India, especially in the states of Maharashtra and Gujarat.
Ingredients (for 30-35 small vadas)
- Urad Daal – ¾ cup
- Moong Daal – ¼ cup
- Green Chilli – 1 (chopped)
- Ginger – 1 inch (chopped)
- Cumin Seeds (Jeera) – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida (Hing) – a pinch
- Water – 2-3 tbsp for grinding the batter
- Curd – 3 cups
- Chaat Masala – ½ tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – ½ tsp
- Roasted Cumin Powder – 1 tsp
- Black Salt – ½ tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Soak urad and moong daal in enough water for 4-5 hours.
- Drain and grind both daal, green chillies, ginger, cumin seeds & asafoetida in a grinder.
- Add water in intervals(if required) and grind to a coarse batter.
- Take the batter in a big bowl.
- Stir the batter briskly for a couple of minutes to incorporate air in it, this makes the batter light and fluffy.
- We will now test it (whether it is ready to make vadas or not).
- Will drop a small marble sized batter in a glass of water, if it comes on top then it means that the batter is ready to make vadas.
- Heat oil in a kadai for deep frying the vada.
- When the oil is medium hot, drop spoonfuls of the batter in the oil.
- When the vadas become pale golden from the sides, turn them.
- Fry the vadas till they become crisp and golden from all sides.
- Drain on absorbent paper.
- Whisk the curd till smooth and keep it aside.
- In another bowl take water and mix 1 tbsp salt.
- Add the hot vadas into the water and soak them for 15-20 minutes.
- Take each vada and press between your palms to remove excess water.
- Now place these vadas in the serving bowl.
- pour the whisked curd over the vadas.
- Top them with the coriander chutney and tamarind chutney.
- Sprinkle red chilli powder, roasted cumin powder, chaat masala and black salt on top.
- Also garnish it with chopped coriander leaves.
- Dahi vada is ready to be served.