Chestnut Flour Puri – a gluten free puri recipe made from water chestnut flour and boiled mashed potato. This is mainly consumed on fasting days.
Ingredients (4 servings)
- Singhare ka Atta/Water Chestnut Flour -3 cups
- Boiled Potatoes – 3-4 (mashed)
- Green Chilies – 2 (minced)
- Sendha Salt – as required
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Water – to bind the dough
- In a deep bowl add 2¾ cup chestnut flour, potatoes, green chillies, salt and oil. Mix well.
- Add very little water at a time and knead the dough.
- The dough should be smooth and medium soft, should not be sticky. (otherwise you will not be able to roll the puris).
- Take sized balls from the dough, sprinkle some water chestnut flour on the rolling board.
- Roll the balls into medium sized puris.
- Heat oil in a kadai, when the oil is hot, place the puri gently in the oil.
- When one sides puffs up (puri can be puffed up by gently pushing it with the slotted spoon) gently turn over and fry the other side.
- When the puris are golden, remove from the slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Serve the chestnut flour puri hot with vrat ke dahi aloo.
- Don’t make thin puris as they will break while frying.
- Don’t make thick puris as they will be left uncooked from inside.