Applesauce can be used as an egg substitute in cakes. The amount of sugar you will want to add in applesauce will depend on how sweet your apples are, and how sweet you would like it to be. The lemon juice enhances the flavuor of the apples and balances the sweetness as well.
Ingredients (serving=1-1¼ cup)
- Apples – 2 (roughly cut into pieces)
- Lemon juice – 2 tsp
- Cinnamon – ½ inch
- Sugar – 1-2 tbsp (depending on the sweetness of apples)
- Water – ¼ cup
- Salt – a pinch
- Add all the ingredients in a pan and bring it to boil.
- When the water starts boiling, cover the vessel and let it cook on low heat.
- Cook until the apples are soft i.e. around 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the cinnamon and mash the apples with the potato masher and allow it to cool.
- Now sieve it and collect the puree in a bowl.
- Store it in an air tight jar and refrigerate (shelf life 6-7 days) or freeze(shelf life 2 months).