Aloo tomato curry is the most popular curry of North India.This is amongst the easiest and most delicious recipe to make with potatoes and tomatoes. This is made as a daily quick fix curry. It goes very well with pooris, Bedmi or with any Indian bread.
Ingredients (4 servings)
- Potatoes – 4
- Tomatoes – 3
- Green chilli – 2-3
- Ginger – 1 inch long piece
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Asafoetida – 1 pinch
- Cumin Seeds – ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tbsp
- Red chilli powder – ¼ tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Garam masala – ¼ tsp
- Coriander Leaves – 1 tbsp (finely chopped)
- Wash and peel the potatoes and cut them into 1″ long pieces.
- In a grinder add tomatoes, green chillies and ginger to make a fine paste. Keep aside.
- In a pressure cooker heat oil, add cumin seeds, asafoetida. When the seeds start crackling add tomato paste, turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder and fry till the oil starts separating. (approx 7-8 minutes)
- Add potatoes, salt and 3½ cups of water, mix and close the lid. let it cook till 1 whistle on high flame.
- After 1 whistle, let it cook on simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Once the pressure cooker cools down, open the lid and mash few pieces of potatoes to make the gravy little thicker.
- Cook for another 4-5 minutes till you get the gravy of your desired consistency.
- Aloo tomato curry is ready.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with any rice or bread.